Monday, January 2, 2012

Dressing up a Dresser

My family has an old dresser that my son wants to use, but he likes a very deep dark chocolate stain rather than the golden early American it currently has.  I sanded it down to the bare wood with an oscillating sander starting with 100 grit and ending with 220 grit. I selected a chocolate stain from Miniwax, but after the first coat, realized the stain was mottled, leaving a terribly unprofessional finish.  What to do? I took one of the bare-wood drawers and one of the one-coat stained drawers to Lowes and they suggested that I seal the wood before I stain.  Credit goes to my mother, Barbara, for suggesting the same thing first. Thanks mom!

I purchased the Miniwax sealer and applied a coat to the bare wood, as directed.  I waited about 15 minutes and used a steelwool to go over the sealer, as directed, and then applied my first coat of stain with a rag.  Problem.  It still came out mottled.  I waited 6 hours, as directed, used steel wool to sand, and applied a second coat as directed.

It still looks mottled.  Stay tuned for next step.





No comments:

Post a Comment