Monday, January 2, 2012

Sanding is Important in Staining Pine or Softwood

I googled questions about mottled stain and found that this is a common problem, especially with softwoods and pine.  I suspect this dresser is softwood and may be pine.  I decided to re-sand the drawers being careful not to press with inconsistent pressure.

RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO BEAR DOWN WITH PRESSURE.

It's not easy if you're impatient like me, but in the end, it's taking me twice the work and twice the time.  I kept even pressure and swept back and forth from one full side to the next instead of a choppy back and forth.  Sweep the entire length of wood then come back evenly.  I sealed, steelwool, stained and I think it looks much better. Credit goes to my son, Blaine, who told me not to apply pressure when I was sanding before I even started.  Yes, I shoulda listened to you.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment